Meals on Wheels brings prepared food to Vermonters 60 or older who have trouble getting around or preparing their own meals. Demand jumped roughly 30 percent during the pandemic, and for many areas organizing the meal delivery program, demand hasn’t gone down. This hour, we’ll hear from Meals on Wheels volunteers and leaders about the challenge of meeting the increased need.
Our guests are:
- Ruth Wallman a longtime Meals on Wheels volunteer with AgeWell
- Chris Moldovan, director of nutrition and wellness and a registered dietitian with AgeWell, serving Addison, Chittenden, Franklin and Grand Ilse Counties
- Meg Burmeister, executive director at the Northeast Kingdom Council on Aging, which offers congregate meals and home delivered meals
Looking for the Meals on Wheels program in your area? Here are some resources to help:
- Vermont’s statewide helpline for senior citizens: 1-800-642-5119
- AgeWell (for Addison, Chittenden, Franklin and Grand Isle Counties)
- Central Vermont Council on Aging
- Northeast Kingdom Council on Aging
- Senior Solutions: Council on Aging for Southeastern Vermont
- Southwestern Vermont Council on Aging
Broadcast live on Thursday, March 16, 2023, at noon; rebroadcast at 7 p.m.